Strong Voices: Fifteen American Speeches Worth Knowing
Introductions By Tonya Bolden
Illustrated by Eric Velasquez
Forward By Cokie Roberts
Fifteen of the speeches that shaped and defined America, presented in a gorgeously illustrated tome, annotated and explained by an expert in child-friendly language.
Strong Voices: Fifteen American Speeches Worth Knowing is a collection of speeches that showcases the voices of those at the reins of power, and of those who are not, at flashpoints in American history. Read the original words—sometimes abridged and sometimes in their entirety—that have shaped our cultural fabric.
Introductions by acclaimed writer Tonya Bolden provide historical context and critical insights to the meaning and impact of every speech. Illustrations by award-winning artist Eric Velasquez illuminate what it was really like at each moment in history. This collection includes the following:
· Patrick Henry, “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death”
· George Washington, Farewell Address
· Red Jacket, “We Never Quarrel about Religion”
· Frederick Douglass, “What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?”
· Sojourner Truth, “I Am a Woman’s Rights”
· Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address
· Theodore Roosevelt, “Citizenship in a Republic”
· Franklin Delano Roosevelt, “The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”
· Lou Gehrig, “Farewell to Baseball”
· Langston Hughes, “On the Blacklist All Our Lives”
· John Fitzgerald Kennedy, “We Choose to Go to the Moon”
· Martin Luther King Jr., “I Have a Dream”
· Fannie Lou Hamer, “I Question America”
· Cesar Chavez, Address to the Commonwealth Club of California, 1984
· Hillary Rodham Clinton, “Women’s Rights Are Human Rights”
Strong Voices includes a foreword by #1 New York Times bestselling author and celebrated journalist Cokie Roberts.
Strong Voices is a tremendous introduction to the extraordinary words spoken in history.
Hardcover / Juvenile Nonfiction / Social Activists
0.5" H x 11.2" L x 9.3" W (1.7 lbs) 128 pages
0.41" H x 11.74" L x 8.26" W (1.04 lbs) 128 pages
We Also Recommend
Therapy Games for Teens: 150 Activities to Improve Self-Esteem, Communication, and Coping Skills